Soy is not often found in my house. We don’t have soy allergies or intolerances but the humble soya bean has been given a bit of a bad rap about town due to research which suggests soy is “bad” because of the content of phytic acid, trypsin inhibitors and phyto estrogen. These three things (separately) block digestion and absorption of vital nutrients such as zinc, phosphorus acid and calcium which, in studies done on rats, leads to slight retardation in brain development. Especially something to consider when you take into account feeding it to babies and breastfeeding Mums because a baby is born with a brain size 25% of an adults size then it grows to 75% of an adults brain size in the first year. Even slight impairment could have big effects on baby’s rapidly developing brain. Phytoestrogen is thought to damage hormones and bring on a range of effects including early puberty and affected fertility. It affects the reproductive tissue.
So you can understand why I often go weeks and weeks with no soy at all then I decide well, a little bit may be ok and buy tofu, soy sauce and soy chai lattes. A soy chai latte is just as yummy to smell as it is to drink, I often sniff it while it’s cooling down… like a creep.
Yeah so this week is soy week! Then there will be no more soy for a while. Until we meet again soy. It’s been delicious having you for a day!!
- One cauliflower
- Tofu (this is the best egg sub in fried rice )
- Soy sauce
- Fresh crushed garlic (2-4 cloves)
- Fresh minced ginger (like a little bit)
- A couple of handfuls of chopped vegetables (this is frozen carrot, pea, corn and beans)
- Chopped spinach
- Olive oil or coconut oil for frying
- Pulse cauliflower in the food processor until it resembles rice, this should be almost instantaneous
- Lightly fry the cauliflower over a medium head along with spinach, ginger, garlic and squirt on the soy sauce
- After a couple of minutes, add tofu and vegetables
- Assess if more soya sauce is needed or use salt and pepper here, if desired
- Bam. You’re done. Enjoy.
Much love xx