The best recipes are always created in the kitchen the day before shopping day.
As we are a household on one income living in one of the most expensive cities in the world, we budget! This means that I do the shop every Thursday and because the food we eat is real food, by Wednesday the cupboards are looking very bare with all of the delicious, fresh produce consumed (not many packets sitting around).
So this also makes Wednesday my ‘creative cooking’ day where whatever is left in the pantry gets thrown together. This is the yummiest way to learn about food and cooking!! (Although sometimes it doesn’t turn out very well hahaha ‘learning’).
This is how my simple, inexpensive yummy slice recipe came about!! It started out as breakfast and has lasted all day.
As with all my recipes, this is free from dairy, soy, egg, nut, wheat, gluten and refined sugar. It is also AIP/Auto Immune Protocol friendly.
Dearlove Chocolate Chia Seed Slice
- 2 cups of desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 3 spoons cocoa
- Honey to taste – I used about four spoons full of manuka honey, warmed in the microwave to melt it a bit
- Pre Heat Oven to 350F/180C
- Whizz all ingredients in the food processor for a couple of minutes, keeping aside a little of the coconut
- Add the rest of the coconut
- Form into a big old slab and flatten to make them as thin as you would like your slice to be
- Bake as a whole slab for 8 minutes
- Let cool
- Slice into slice
- Let set in the fridge (this is what makes it go hard)