I made these as breakfast on the run / a snack idea for my partner, Scott. He can tolerate nuts so I have used them here however the almonds can be omitted from this recipe in favour of double the sunflower seeds.
These are insanely good for you and have a sweet, chewy texture.
The recipe is free from dairy, soy, eggs, gluten, wheat, refined sugar and nightshades.
LSA is a wonderful source of many vitamins and minerals. Scott refers to LSA as “that dust you sprinkle on food”. Making this ‘dust’ into bars is a much more fun and delicious way to eat it!
LSA will provide you with a good dose of healthy omega-3 fats to promote a healthy heart and brain function, and it contains important minerals such as calcium, zinc and magnesium.
Linseed is a great source of omega 3. The essential fats are those which the body is unable to make on its own and therefore need to be included in the diet. They promote healthy heart and brain function and this bar also contains important minerals such as calcium, zinc and magnesium.
Half a cup of linseeds (also known as flaxseeds) with water, soaked for 5 minutes minimum
A third of a cup of activated sunflower seeds (soaked for about an hour – overnight)
A third a cup of almonds
A third cup of saltanas
One mashed banana – or a third cup of honey/maple syrup
Dessicated coconut for sprinkling on top
How to LSA Bars
- Pre heat Oven to 180C / 350F, lube it up with grapeseed oil
Tip: Parchment paper is not friendly to egg-less cooking, avoid using it
- In a food processor, whizz up the activated sunflower seeds and saltanas for a minute
- Add almonds, whizz up again for a further minute
- Transfer to a bowl and add the linseeds, combine
- Add the mashed banana, combine
- Spread onto a tray and spread into a square shape
- Sprinkle on dessicated coconut
- Put in the fridge for 15 minutes to harden
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Fridge again for another 15
- Cut into bars
These make an ideal snack as they contain protein, fat and carbohydrate and they help to stabilize blood sugar levels, also curbing sugar cravings.
Have a wonderful day, allergy and healthy living friends! x